Before shooting commences on your first stage of a match, the squad Safety Officer(s) will conduct an equipment check in accordance with IDPA Equipment Rules. Here’s a quick primer on they key things they are looking for:
Concealment Garment – concealment garments hide the holster, firearm, ammunition carriers and loading devices from view. To see if the garment is “IDPA legal”, the competitor stands with their arms straight out to their sides, parallel to the ground. If the standing Safety Officer can not see the listed equipment from the front, sides or rear, then the concealment garment is acceptable.
Belts – belts must be no wider than 1 3/4 inches or thicker than 5/16 inches and must pass through a minimum of all but two of the pants loops.
Holsters – See IDPA Rule Book Section 8.5 for complete details.
- Must carry the firearm in a neutral (vertical) or muzzle rear cant.
- Must hold the firearm with enough tension to prevent losing the firearm.
- For male shooters, holster must carry firearm so that the entire front strap (to the trigger guard) is at or above the top of the belt. IWB holsters are exempt from this rule.
- Must be positioned on the belt so that the center of the trigger pad is behind the center line of the body (originates at the armpit straight down).
- For male shooters, holsters must fit the shooter’s body such that a 3/4 inch dowel placed between the shooter and the firearm anywhere above the belt contacts both the shooter and firearm simultaneously. Basically, it can’t sag or tilt away from the body.
- Women shooters may use dropped or offset holsters. Concealment, cant and tilt requirements apply.
- See Local Holster Restrictions HERE.
Ammunition Carriers – See IDPA Rule Book Section 8.6 for complete details.
- Ammunition carriers are not required. Shooters may carry spare loading devices in their pockets or mix carry in pocket/ammunition carrier.
- Must cover 2″ of the magazine as measured from the top of the cartridge run down the back flat of the magazine tube.
- Must be worn in a location on the belt so that the front edge of the carrier or magazine is behind the shooter’s hipbone.
- Bullets out magazine pouches are not allowed.
- See IDPA Rule Book for details on speed loaders and moon clips.